Heat oil in a pan, add the onion and the garlic.
Add the okra and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the fresh tomato and the spices and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the tomato puree, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.
Thank you to marvellous Marwa Makool for this amazing recipe
Copyright © 2013 Yallateef
- 1kg fresh okra (or 1kg frozen okra, which you need to deep-fry briefly, and add after the tomato)
- 2 onion, slivered
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 500g fresh tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 4 tbs rice bran oil
- 1 cup tomato puree
- ½ tsp sea salt Add to basket
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper Add to basket
- ½ mixed spice (Baharat) Add to basket
- ½ tsp maras chilli
Baharat is a wonderfully aromatic mix made from the finest quality spices. It can be added to meat and vegetable dishes for a flavoursome meal that will have everyone begging for seconds!