Rinse split peas, cover with water and set aside to soak.
Heat a non stick pan, spray with oil and add onion, garlic, cumin, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and cook for a few minutes.
Rinse barley well and add to pot with stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Add drained and well rinsed peas, return to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
Add sweet potato, cavalo nero and currants and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated and ingredients have cooked.
Adjust seasonings, add coriander and top with pistachios and coriander sprigs.
Thanks to the weigh it up team for this georgeous recipe.
- 1/4 cup split yellow peas Add to basket
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds Add to basket
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cloves Add to basket
- 1 cinnamon stick Add to basket
- ¼ cup barley Add to basket
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 200g sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 150g cavolo nero (also known as Tuscan kale or black spinach), chopped
- 1 tablespoon currants, soaked in 1 tbs hot water Add to basket
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander, plus a few sprigs to serve
- 15 g pistachios, chopped Add to basket
Pistachios are high in fibre, iron and folate to keep you functioning at your peak.