POMEGRANATE JEWELLED RICE
- 100g barberries
- 100g cashews, unsalted roasted
- 100g slivered almond
- 100g raw pistachio kernel
- 100g pumpkin seed kernels
- 100g sunflower seed kernels
- 100g dried apricots, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs yallateef
- 1 tsp zhug
- 2 tbs pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbs rice bran oil
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 100g fresh pomegranate seeds (seasonal; more barberries can be used when these are not available)
Pistachios are high in fibre, iron and folate to keep you functioning at your peak.
Warm the oil in a large saucepan; add the nuts and the dried fruit, and stir until the nuts begin to colour.
Add the yallateef, pomegranate molasses and zhug, stir.
Add the rice and mix well.
Add 4 cups boiling water, salt and saffron threads, stir.
Simmer for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat.
Cover until all the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes).
Transfer to a serving plate or bowl.
Garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds.
Serve on its own, with yoghurt or to accompany a meat dish.
Thank you to marvellousMarwa Makool for this amazing recipe
Copyright © 2013 Yallateef